Sunday Independent Inheritance & Succession Planning Award 2023 ...read
Sunday Independent Inheritance & Succession Planning Award 2022 ...read
Founder of Keogan Law & Tax, Aileen Keogan, has been advising clients since 1993. Aileen set up her own practice in 2009 originally as Aileen Keogan Solicitor & Tax Consultant to provide private clients with specialist succession planning combining both legal and taxation advice. Previously developing her speciality area in Ireland’s leading law firms, A&L Goodbody and McCann FitzGerald, and the boutique tax firm Warren & Partners, Aileen has over 30 years’ experience advising clients on complex succession planning issues. Her particular areas of expertise are trusts and taxation issues including cross border matters.
A key feature of Aileen’s service is her willingness where required to collaborate closely with her clients’ other advisers. This ensures an integrated approach to meeting the specific needs of the client. As a respected thought leader in the area, Aileen works with general practice solicitors, accountants and professional advisers to support their clients. She complements their work with her deep knowledge of complex probate, trust, capital taxation, estate planning and succession issues. This includes working with overseas advisers seeking advice on cross border succession and estate planning.
Aileen is a highly respected author and lecturer who contributes regularly at professional and educational forums and has been twice elected by her peers to Council at the Irish Tax Institute and recommended through various peer forums.
Today, Keogan Law & Tax is a highly specialised firm providing legal and tax advice specific to complex and sensitive family and business matters around succession. We work with families to untangle the many facets of both personal and business assets and manage sensitive family concerns in the context of succession planning. Together, we create succession plans that benefit all stakeholders.
- Co-author of The Law & Taxation of Trusts Keogan, Mee and Wylie, Tottels 2007.
- Editor since 2010 of the Irish Taxation Institute's annual publication on the Law of Capital Acquisitions Tax (now published with the Law of Stamp Duties and LPT as a consolidated book).
- Author of Wills precedents section for Laffoy's Irish Conveyancing Precedents since 2010.
- Author of the Irish chapter on Beneficial Ownership Registers: The STEP Handbook for Advisers, Globe Law and Business 2021 regarding EU Anti Money Laundering legislation and practice for UBOs and Trusts in Europe.
- Member of the Law Society’s Probate, Administration and Taxation Committee and previously their Taxation Committee since 1995.
- Representative of Law Society on Taxation Advisory Liaison Committee (TALC) Capital Taxes allowing liaison direct with Revenue in clarifying and reforming taxation legislation.
- Member of committee of STEP Ireland since December 2013 including coordinating submissions on a national and international level in the areas of private client through this committee.
- Representative of STEP Ireland in STEP Europe including their AML Taskforce and its EU Policy Committee
- Founding member of both the Irish branch of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Solicitors for the Elderly in Ireland.
- Contributor through lecturing, tutoring and drafting, to the student and CPD programmes of the Law Society of Ireland, the Irish Taxation Institute and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
- Author of articles on estate planning to publications such as the Law Society Gazette, the Irish Tax Review, Getting the Deal Through, IFC Review, Business & Finance, the Irish Times and the Sunday Business Post and was awarded the Article of the Year Award 2010 by the Irish Tax Institute.
Aileen holds a Law Degree from University College Dublin, is regulated as a Solicitor by the Law Society of Ireland and is an AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) with the Irish Taxation Institute. She obtained a distinction in the internationally recognised Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes through STEP International.
- 2023 Sunday Independent / Statista Ireland’s Best Law Firms - peer and client elected for Inheritance and Succession law, Tax and Charities
- 2022 Sunday Independent / Statista Ireland’s Best Law Firms – inaugural – peer and client elected
- Peer elected as Council Member to Irish Tax Institute 2018 and re-elected 2021
- ‘Article of the Year Award’-– Norman Bale Award, Irish Tax Institute 2010 and 2017
- Chambers Europe ranked lawyer private client Chambers HNW since 2018 – peer and client elected
- ‘National Expert’ Getting the Deal Through 2015
- ‘Boutique Firm of the Year 2012/13 (Ireland and UK)’ - Short listed by STEP.
- Regularly awarded by Lawyer Monthly, The Best Lawyers in Ireland Acquisition-INTL, Corporate International Magazine, Acquisition International Magazine and Corporate Livewire Finance, Finance Monthly Magazine Tax Awards, Global Advisory Experts 2020 Annual Award, EU Business Irish Enterprise Awards in categories such as;
- Capital Tax Planning Law Team of the Year – Ireland
- Cross Border Estates Advisory Firm of the Year in Ireland
- Best for Wills and Estate Planning
- Best in Capital Tax Planning
- Boutique Estate Planning Advisory Firm of the Year – Ireland
- Tax Consultant of the Year – Ireland’.
- Private Client Lawyer of the Year, Ireland
- Capital Taxes Advisory Firm of the Year Ireland
- Contentious Trusts and Estates
- Tax Law Lawyer of the Year – Ireland
- Best Estate Planning & Tax Lawyer – Republic of Ireland
- Lawyer Monthly Women in Law Award
- Cross Border Private Client Tax Adviser of the Year in Ireland